As you may have read in our meatloaf recipe, the leftovers are the star of the show! Here we will be transforming them into a meaty pasta sauce. The beauty of this recipe is you can make extra meatloaf, guaranteeing the pasta dish as your next meal. Go ahead and make as much as you want of the amazing pasta sauce. It is freezer friendly and reheats quickly. So let’s begin.
Meaty Pasta Sauce, From Italian Meatloaf
By Adventures In RV Life, Melissa McElfresh
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 15 – 20 minutes
3 – 5 cups of sauce (varies based on your sauce thickness preference)
2 cups Meatloaf leftover, broken up into bite-size pieces
24-28 oz can pasta sauce (flavored or not — See TIPS)
½ tsp Oregano
½ tsp Basil
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4c onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp granulated garlic (or 2 cloves fresh)
- Saucepot with a lid
- Measuring Spoons
- Pasta strainer
- Optional: Garlic Press
Into the sauce pot add all the ingredients, stir to combine. Place pot on the stove set to medium (RV propane stovetop, dial set to #5). Once the sauce starts to bubble, cover and turn down the heat to low (RV propane to #1). Stir often. Cook for about 15-20 minutes to ensure any large pieces of meatloaf are completely warmed through. While the sauce is cooking is a great time to make your pasta of choice. Once the sauce has warmed through and pasta is done, it’s ready to serve.
- Add pasta water to thin your pasta sauce, if needed
- Adjust the additional seasonings in this recipe if you are using a flavored pasta sauce. IE: with a canned ‘garlic and onion flavor pasta sauce’, you may want to skip adding the fresh onion and garlic.
- You can freeze any leftover sauce
- Use the pasta you have on hand, but Penne and Corkscrews will ‘trap’ the meat sauce better.
- Cook pasta in the Instant Pot
- Serve sauce over pasta and add freshly grated parmesan
- Skip the pasta and serve the meatloaf sauce over garlic bread
We hope you give the meatloaf recipe a try so you can enjoy this quick, easy and oh-so-yummy pasta sauce recipe the whole family will love. …And we will see you on our next Adventure!
Need something on Amazon.com? By clicking on our direct link to Amazon you are helping us. We will receive a small kickback as part of their Amazon Affiliate program. Your shopping costs and experience will remain the same. But, you will need to finish the Amazon check out process within 12-hours from when you use our link. Thank you in advance!