When thinking of St Patrick’s Day, Lime Pie may be far from your thoughts. Most of us think of traditional associations: shamrocks, leprechauns, and rainbows.
In the food world, we gravitate to corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. Then wash it down with a fun green beer, or two, or three. You know, the proper amount for you to be seeing a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
With all things GREEN on Patty’s Day, my mind wandered over to Lime Pie. However, I do know that green limes, or any color for that matter, do not grow in Ireland. Logistics aside, that will never stop me from making and eating one of our family’s favorite desserts.
The limes in this recipe could easily be substituted for lemons. Or go wild to see how oranges or grapefruits taste as a pie. You will never know if you have stumbled upon something great until you first try.
What is great about this Lime Pie is the fact you do not have to add a topping to it. But, if you choose to do so, you have several options. Some will add a whip cream topping. Others prefer a sourcream based topping. We like to top ours with fresh blueberries or blackberries.
Then, if you choose to use lemon, maybe a traditional Marange top is more to your liking. Or dust it with powdered sugar for a lemon bar taste. As you can see the options are endless with this great base Lime Pie recipe.
Quick, Cheap and Tasty
If you have a store-bought graham cracker crust, can of condensed milk and some citrus juice, you will have yourself a pie in 30-minutes. Okay, a little more work goes into it than that, but not too much more. These three key ingredients cost around $5 here in the NorthWest (USA).
To buy a Lime Pie at a low-end grocery store bakery is around $13, if it is ‘in season.’ Otherwise, it is off to the frozen section to find the pie. Those, to me, taste freezer burnt and the crust tastes ‘off.’ I wish I could explain it better. If I recall it can take up to an hour to finally dive into those frozen pies and dish out $15 to do so.
We think you will love how easy and cheap this Lime Pie recipe is to make. Along with all the topping ideas and other citrus you can use, it is a family favorite for us.
Lime Pie Recipe
By Adventures In RV Life, Melissa McElfresh
Prep: 10 min
Cooking: 15 min
1 Pie — 8-inch or 9-inch
- Graham cracker pie shell in either 8-inch or 9-inch
- Sweetened condensed milk, 14oz can
- ½ c freshly squeezed lime juice (see TIPS)
- 1 tsp finely chopped lime zest (or more to taste)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Optional: Green food coloring (see TIPS)
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- Whisk until blended: condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest in bowl #1
- Add egg yolks to bowl #1 and whites to bowl #2
- In bowl #1 add vanilla and beat (with yokes in the lime mixture) until smooth
- Beat the egg whites in bowl #2 until they fold soft peaks
- Sprinkle whites with sugar and beat until stiff peaks form
- Fold the egg whites (bowl #2) into the lime mixture (bowl #1)
- Pour into the pie crust
- Bake until the center is set, about 12 – 18 minutes
- Set on a wire rack to cool
- Serve at room temperature or chilled
- Zest the lime before you squeeze it for the juice
- The zest adds more flavor as well as texture, but you can omit if needed
- Freeze extra lime juice to use in a variety of meals later or another pie
- If using frozen lime juice, note that it will have a slightly weaker flavor than fresh
- The mini silicone spatula enables you to get every last drop of milk out of the can
- An electric hand mixing with a whisk attachment is ideal to whip up the egg whites
- I put the store-bought crust (tin and all) inside a larger glass pie dish for stability
- COLOR – you can add some green food coloring if you would like. We prefer to stay with the light green/yellow color it bakes up to be.
We hope you give the Lime Pie recipe a try. Be sure to check out the rest of our recipe collections that we add to on a monthly basis HERE as well. Thanks for reading our blog and we will see you on our next Adventure!
Need something on Amazon.com? By clicking on our direct link to Amazon you are helping us. We will receive a small kickback as part of their Amazon Affiliate program. Your shopping costs and experience will remain the same. But, you will need to finish the Amazon check out process within 12-hours from when you use our link. Thank you in advance!